Take advantage of solar power.
Interested in learning more about solar power? Take a look at a compilation of solar facts we’ve discovered below:
- According to EnergySage, the average home can save between $20,000 and $97,000 over the lifetime of your solar panel system.
- According to Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), the market certainty provided by the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) through its long-term tax incentives and manufacturing provisions contributes an expected 40% boost in solar deployment for the next five years.
- According to SEIA, over 80% of a typical PV panel by weight consists of aluminum and glass – both of which are easy-to-recycle materials.
- With solar storage systems on the rise in popularity, Germany saw a 52% increase in new solar storage installations in 2022.
- Did you know 47 major league teams in America now have solar installations at their stadiums?
- Bonus Fact: The National Football League (NFL) currently has the highest percentage of stadiums operating with solar energy at 32% while Major League Baseball (MLB) and the National Basketball Association (NBA) are tied for a close second.
- Did you know the fastest transatlantic crossing completely powered by solar is 22 days? From Spain to Marigot, Tûranor PlanetSolar broke its own record in May of 2013.
- Bonus Fact: The previous record for the fastest transatlantic crossing was 26 days, set in 2012.
- The price of Polysilicon, essential components for solar panels, is falling as global polysilicon capacities are expected to double to 536GW by the end of 2023.
- In 2021, 60% of the world’s new renewable capacity was installed in Asia.
- Did you know that John F. Kennedy Airport’s (JFK), one of the largest airports in the United States, will be powered by solar microgrid that can function off-grid during power disruptions? This energy system will immediately reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 38% over to grid power.
- A record $369 billion was set aside by the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 to support climate and energy goals.
- In 1839, Edmond discovered the photovoltaic effect, which has since been the leading principle of the solar cell.
- The world has reached 1TW of installed solar capacity in 2022!
- Bonus Fact: With an increase of 23% in 2021, solar energy is one of the fastest growing renewable energy sources.
- Did you know that residential solar systems eliminate 3-4 tons of CO2 per year, the equivalent to planting over 100 trees per year?
Solar Facts is a series of blog posts where we’ve compiled bite-size information on solar and related topics that may be of interest to you. Read Part 1 and Part 2 of our Solar Facts blog here.